Sauteed Rice with Kale
Adapted from here. Good alongside fish, or add chicken to use as a main.
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion (or 6 green onions), chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- ½ cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring the water to a boil. Add the kale, cover, and steam until just tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion, celery, mushrooms, green bell pepper, and garlic in the oil and butter mixture until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir kale and rice into the mixture, breaking the rice into grains with your spoon as you stir; season with dry mustard, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Cook and stir until the rice is hot, about 5 minutes.