Carrot Rhubarb Muffins
From the My New Roots cookbook.
- 2½ cups rolled oats, plus extra for sprinkling if desired
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 to 6 spring carrots (about ⅓ pound), unpeeled, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup raw walnuts (optional)
- 2 thin stalks rhubarb
- Knob of coconut oil, for greasing the tin (or use muffin liners)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Measure out 1½ cups of the rolled oats and put them in the food processor. Pulse until you have a coarse flour. Put the flour in a large bowl, and add the remaining 1 cup rolled oats and the coconut sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, sea salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- Pulse the carrots in the food processor until they are roughly minced. Put the carrots in a medium bowl. Pulse the walnuts a couple of times in the food processor until roughly chopped, and then add them to the carrots. Slice the rhubarb into thin disks and add to the carrots.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Lightly grease a muffin tin with coconut oil (or line it with muffin liners).
- Add the maple syrup and applesauce to the flour mixture, and mix just to combine. Then fold in the carrots, rhubarb, and walnuts.
- Fill the muffin cups with dollops of the batter; sprinkle with a few rolled oats if desired. Bake in the oven for 25 to 35 minutes, until the muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before removing from the tin. Enjoy warm.
Back to Recipes