Roasted Beet and Kale Salad
Adapted from here. There are a couple hours of idle time in this recipe, so prepare ahead. Add goat cheese before serving to add a creamy texture.
- 3 large beets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 bunch fresh kale, cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ cup chopped cashews
- ¼ cup dried cherries
- 2 tbsp golden raisins
- ½ cup apple cider
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil, or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Line a baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Trim roots and stems from beets. Coat beets with 1 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place beets onto prepared baking dish.
- Roast beets for 30 minutes; turn beets over and continue roasting until tender, 30 minutes to 1 hour more. Let beets cool. Peel skins from beets and cut into 1-inch cubes. Toss cooked beets with kale, cashews, dried cherries, and golden raisins in a large salad bowl.
- Whisk apple cider, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic, and cider vinegar in a bowl. Slowly drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil into apple cider mixture, whisking constantly, until dressing is combined. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Refrigerate at least 1 hour for flavours to blend before serving.