Asian Vegetable Soup with Noodles
If you don’t have napa/Chinese cabbage on hand, substitute in more pak choy.
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 6 green onions, including the greens, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh ginger
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ tsp dried red pepper flakes
- 3½ cups water
- 3½ cups chicken broth
- 4 carrots, cut diagonally into ¼-inch slices
- ¾ lb napa (Chinese) cabbage (about ½ head), leaves shredded (approx. 3 cups)
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 head pak choy, stalks halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into ½-inch pieces, leaves shredded
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ lb vermicelli
- 1½ tsp sesame oil
- In a large saucepan, heat the cooking oil over moderately low heat. Add the green onions, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 min. Add the soy sauce, red pepper flakes, water, and broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the carrots to the broth and simmer for 5 min. Stir in the cabbage and salt and simmer for 5 min. Add the pak choy and lemon zest and simmer until the pak choy starts to soften, about 5 min. Stir in lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the vermicelli until just done, about 9 min. Drain. Return the noodles to the pot and toss with sesame oil. Put some noodles in each bowl and ladle soup over the noodles.